Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thing #15

I read all the articles and it makes me worry that our library is not "21st century" enough. I am trying to stay on top of the tech world with my library, but feel like Web 2.0/Library 2.0 is passing us by. This course has been tremendously helpful. My favorite article was "Away with Icebergs." I don't add many nonfiction books simply because they are not read or used for research, but I wonder if I am wasting money on the few I purchase. I know I need to reassess our library paradigm to move forward with changing technology...but just when I think I'm catching up, I fall twice as far behind because the tech world is changing so fast. As I learn about these Web 2.0 resources and think of how to apply them to our library and curriculum, I fear that they will already be yesterday's news by the time I get it done. I note the date for the OCLC article -- 2006. And I'm just now getting there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your non-fiction thoughts as far as reference type stuff is concerned, but there ARE non-fiction areas that can be popular with students...pets, sports, automobiles, space, even cookbooks! Maybe you might want to "survey" your kids and see about adding some popular non-fiction. I think they will get checked out !?!