Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #11.5 -- Library 2 Play 2

Evaluation:

1. My favorite: Posting to YouTube and using Jing for Screencasts....so simple! Jing I will definitely use on our library web page. And I was all excited about using Skype, until my daughter said a friend warned her about it bringing in viruses...and then she started getting email invitations from the "non-friendly" type to join Skype conversations. Is Skype a virus issue?

2. Lifelong learning: When I think I've learned it all...turn on the computer! Every minute a new (and FREE!) program comes out that makes life just a little more exciting ...and easy.

3. Facebook: I was VERY apprehensive about starting a Facebook account and was debating closing it when the course was through. Then a long lost friend I have not seen in 25 years asked to "friend" me. When I responded affirmatively, we had a wonderful reminiscent conversation (real-time chat) online...and she was in England! It was fabulous and thanks for that.

4. It wasn't you that had to make the change...it was me. During 23 Things I was using dial-up Internet and stayed frustrated during the entire ordeal. It was like have dangling chocolate right inside the gate and I couldn't reach in and get my hands on it. Because of 23 Things I invested in high-speed Internet at home and it is the smartest money I spend. This time around, 11.5 things was a blast. Is there another one coming???

Because of 23 Things and 11.5 Things, I will start a LUV2LEARN tech blog for my teachers, posting new technologies for them to try with tutorials, links, examples, and suggestions. I am also revamping my library web page for students, where I will include tutorials through screencasts, video hosting, and PowerPoint slideshares. I will also try to include Animoto book trailers along with other research links. Will it get done overnight? Nope...that's why Webster invented the word "ongoing!"

Thanks to Spring Branch ISD Libraries for allowing those of us in tiny "one district, one librarian" worlds an anchor for learning in the digital world.

1 comment:

VWB said...

glad your investment has paid off so well for you! It only makes sense to be connected these days, doesn't it?
Sounds like you have some grand plans for the upcoming year and hope you will allow us a peek or two as they unfold...no, all of it can't happen over night, but it's all moving in the right direction!
Congratulations!