Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #11 -- Library 2 Play 2

I'm glad digital citizenship is included at the conclusion of this course. It has been much in my thoughts as I "played" with each tool. I could see so much potential for education, and then a dark side would show where I saw some drawbacks to each one too.

These are the 5 points I will make during library orientation on digital citizenship:
1. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
2. The first hit is not always the best.
3. Keep it safe -- for you and me.
4. Be the nice guy.
5. Make smart choices.

On purpose I did not use any of the current watchwords - critical thinking, problem solving, responsibility, evaluate sources, effective research, lifelong learning as in the ISTE standards for students. Do I want them? Absolutely! But I know that when I start throwing out these terms, that students are becoming immune to these repeated phrases and when they start hearing them...they tune me out. I've chosen simple terms that encompass all these things...in kid language -- short and sweet.

I like Cool Cat Teacher's simple matrix -- The student needs to learn literacy, safety, etiquette, and searching strategies. I want to add one more dimension to her matrix -- the TEACHER and the student need to learn these four aspects. I find that most of my teachers don't fully understand each of these aspects and that lack of understanding trickles down to the student when they accept just anything from the students...because the teacher doesn't know any better either. When my teachers become more discerning and demanding of higher quality and safer practices, then my students will be more likely to deliver.

We need to follow this simple philosophy in the digital world as well as other areas of education: EXPECT IT -- DEMAND IT -- GET IT! If we do not, we will continue to produce inferior products from uneducated students led by uniformed educators.

With the help of the TEA website, here are my 5 pointers for teachers too:
1. Create only meaningful activities and expect quality products.
2. Demand best practices and safe work habits.
3. Know and enforce rules and guidelines.
4. Practice what you preach: know how to use a program/Internet site yourself before turning your students loose with it.
5. MONITOR! MONITOR! MONITOR!

Life doesn't have to be complicated to be effective...neither does technology.

No comments: