Friday, August 7, 2009

Thing #10 -- Library 2 Play 2

I am now Shay Fairlady in Second Life! I created an avator that looked 18 (which I am not), which could explain why I attracted conversation from another avator (who claimed to be 18 and from Columbia!) Explaining that you are a school librarian old enough to be his grandmother sometimes deters unnecessary conversation!

Anyway I changed my pant color on my avator (just to say I did), walked all over Help Island (and out into the sea!), sat on a chair on a patio, walked inside a building and sat on a ledge (where I met the Columbian...moral: be careful where you sit!). I also chatted for a while with him (before he found out why I was REALLY there), built a triangular wedge on a patio (that could possibly be a handicap ramp, although it was not pretty but pretty much in the right place), and tried out most of the gestures (glad I wasn't blowing kisses when the 18-year-old newbie stumbled by).

I tried flying (because I thought it would get me off that confounded island), but that didn't work (I just flew around over the sea). When I created an account, though I signed up to be on that cruise ship (naturally), but I did not start out there and never figured out why or how to go somewhere else.

Based on what I read about SL, I think going to the other places and exploring would be fun and educational too. Using the build feature would be great to stimulate creativity, solve problems, and be daring with imagination. I like going in with a friend and working together as a team to build something or accomplish something. That would be a fun challenge. I would want my students in a controlled area...controlling who could get in. Would that be the part that costs real money...getting your own space?

I like the book club idea, although I need to figure out how to get to the library first! Wander if that young Columbian knew the way...maybe I should have followed him!

No comments: