Friday, July 17, 2009

Thing #5 -- Library 2 Play 2

I created a Facebook account (I think!) but I have no idea what to do with it. I have never had one and never seen one so I don't have a clue what to do with it. I have been reading about the importance of not posting private information on it and so I'm scared to post anything. I used my Avatar for my photo, hid my birthday, put my school and college, and my religion. Other than that...that's it.

I gave them very little information and it was downright eery how friends, family and others I knew whose names automatically popped up to click for friends!!!! I clicked on a couple and then got leery because I didn't know what was going to happen if I clicked on them....or why I was even clicking on them! I kept saying over and over....how did they know to put those people on there to choose???

At one point it asked me to agree to access my yahoo account...and I backed out. Facebook may be something EVERYBODY already knows about....but not me and the tutorials on this part are not helpful. I did search for a friend's name who has an account and clicked on it to see what it was supposed to look like...everything was private. So I clicked on something and it allowed me to send her an email and I tried to explain what I'd just done. I'm not comfortable with this because I don't have enough explanation on it yet.

I did go back and look at my friend's facebook page. (I guess I was able to because I clicked her to be my friend) I could see her photos (my family was in some of them...and identified....kinda scary) and I could read comments she and others had made. I don't like that....some sound personal. I'm not convinced yet unless I can see a good example of how to use it productively. If I want to post useful information...I see a blog as more positive.

I now have some "friends" on my facebook. I can see one advantage and that is if I want to contact someone for whom I do not have an email, I could search facebook and click under their picture (provided they have a facebook account) and contact them that way.

As to Twitter...you can see me at http://twitter.com/luv2learn2 and my 3 little tweets. I spent the longest time searching for friends who also tweet and came up empty. So I tried searching for some topics I was interested in and either came up bust or a bum search result. For example, I searched for "school library" and got random tweets which happened to have school and library in the same sentence...nothing I could use. So consequently, I did not check anyone to follow. I did add a photo and changed the background.

However, I do see a use for twitter in my school library. I could post the titles of any new books I get or tweet about library events.

Back-channeling looks like it would be a useful tech tool in some schools, but we are such a tiny school that we don't have class settings where that would be feasible. It might work for our teacher in-service sessions though.

4 comments:

Novella Byrd said...

Hi, Just read your post on Facebook. I opened an account this past spring and I love it, it is a great way to keep up with your circle of "friends". The important thing I think is to make sure that any information that you post make sure that you set it to "Only Friends" can view. If you look at someone's photos and your family is identified you could always ask them to remove the tags. Just wanted to give you some positive feedback on facebook.

LUV2GO said...

I played a little more with it and did like one thing. If I did not know how to reach someone and searched for them on Facebook, I could leave them a message there to make contact. That was a plus.

nancym said...

I felt just like you with Facebook. Also my young adult sons said, "NO!"(even though their accounts are private) As a teacher in the public arena, I am leary of putting much information out there. I am a very verbally impulsive person which I could see getting me into trouble. Also there are times that people from my past just give me an uneasy stomach! There is little chance that I would make a new strong friendship with someone visiting my Facebbok page. I tried Twitter but after 3 weeks of unimpressed, I deleted my account.

LUV2GO said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. These 2 aren't for me. There's plenty of great stuff out there to keep me, my teachers, and my students busy. However, I am glad I can now communicate with someone about them having had the experience.