Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #3 -- Library2Play2

I downloaded Skype and am trying to get my daughter to set up an account too so I can practice.

I once attended a Texas Library Conference session where the speaker in the auditorium was debating someone using Skype so I have seen the app in use even though I have not used it. I can see a lot of potential for this technology in our small rural 1A school where we do not have a lot of monetary or physical resources.

I see us connecting our Spanish class students with students in a Spanish speaking country. It could be an opportunity for them to practice their English while talking to us and for us to practice our Spanish while talking with them.

I also see an astronomy project with New Zealand or Australia...calling up at times during a month to compare the phases of the moon.

How fantastic it would be to actually have a conversation with the author of a book we are reading or a discussion with a scientist about a scientific principle!

Homebound students meet regularly with our homebound teacher, but say they are having to write their major senior research paper and have specific questions. They could use Skype for an afternoon video call to the senior English teacher to ask and receive help.

I especially liked the 50 Awesome Ways article that provided links to suggestions for use in the classroom.

No comments: