Monday, January 28, 2008

Thing #7

Google Earth was great fun, however, again dial-up issues. It took 1-1/2 hours to download the program. But then I spent hours playing with it. I suppose it was because of dial-up that some images took a while to load, but after finding my house, of course, I then "toured" in England and France and actually saw Stonehenge and the Eiffel Tower! Awesome!!! I have seen Google Earth demonstrated before and was shown some 3D images of structures...like the Colosseum in Rome for example. Try as I might I could not find where to make these appear on my maps. Anyone know how? Also one irritating thing was all the little camera icons all over some locations. I realize they were actual photos when clicked on, but could never get them to open with my dial-up. I just wanted to get rid of them so I could see things better (the Eiffel Tower was covered in them obstructing the image). Anyone know how to "turn off" the camera icons. I can see much potential for using this in classes...especially our world geography class.

I also played with Picasa Web Album. I use Picasa to store and enhance my photos but did not know about Web Album. I uploaded one photo just to see how it works. I was afraid my dial-up would take forever, but it only took a few minutes to upload one photo. It is online here. My husband said he would use it to show his friends he really had met Red Steagall at Palo Duro Canyon! I can foresee using it for sharing photos with friends and photos taken of library events.

1 comment:

LKP said...

Neat photo! By the way, I love your avatar!!! Too fun! Be patient with dial up, I know how frustrating that can be.